[NSRCA-discussion] Changing list behavior.

Earl Haury ehaury at houston.rr.com
Mon Mar 27 07:02:00 AKST 2006

There are other issues regarding publishing bad experience with our (limited) suppliers. When one invests in pattern equipment (regardless of glow or E) we hope the stuff will perform as expected and will be warranted if it doesn't. The problem comes when equipment is defective and there are problems with the warranty service. Most of us can't afford to ditch the equipment and get something else (sometimes there aren't any options), so we're stuck with working through the warranty. Should we publish the bad experiences? Probably - but will it wake up the provider or make them vindictive the next time we need service?

Fortunately, most pattern suppliers provide excellent and outstanding service. Most recognize pattern competitors as being skilled and serious about their equipment. Most accept pattern folks as reasonably credible technicians able to evaluate and describe a problem. However, there's likely to be a lack of this "skill recognition" for pattern types by some E suppliers. They've built their business dealing with some of the most unskilled folks in modeling. Now we come along and buy their high end products, expecting to be treated as we've become accustomed - may not happen.

So - do we blast the supplier in open forum, or take businesslike steps to resolve the problem and hope for better service the next time? I recently endured a very frustrating / aggravating experience with a supplier and chose the latter.  I was close to burning my bridges and going public - but that was my vindictive side. I was also very close to purchasing airline tickets for a visit to this outfit with a local attorney - but again this would have meant doing further business offshore for a basically excellent product. Fortunately the situation was resolved and, hopefully, won't be repeated. Suppliers that don't learn will go away and we should help them do that by withholding our bucks - but let's not slay a supplier for an occasional lapse in service.

The information on this list regarding E is probably the best that anyone has. Remember that sponsored folks are often using prototype items and failures result in better end products. There are only a few folks really into E pattern that have the background to accurately gather and report data regarding performance - most are doing that openly and freely. Good information backed by data will always trump opinions / fears / and innuendo.

Earl