[NSRCA-discussion] rookie judge

Ron Van Putte vanputte at cox.net
Sun Mar 26 13:30:53 AKST 2006

On Mar 26, 2006, at 3:24 PM, Bill Glaze wrote:

> The FAI and Masters seem rather pro forma, and do the procedure
> turn.  Those of us in  the great unwashed classes have also been
> utilizing this, but quite a few contestants take off, proceed
> straight out, and execute a humpty-bump or a 1/2 Cuban for a
> turnaround to the "trim pass."
> This also allows the caller to jog back to the line, burning a few
> calories, and staying in shape, thereby not arriving so out of
> breath that he is unable to call the first few figures for his pilot.
> Or, if your caller is the athletic type, then  Don Ramsay has
> simplified it:  Simply take off, make a 180 deg. turn, and head
> directly downwind.  Fast, simple, easy to do, easy to judge, (Take
> off is complete when airplane passes center pole downwind).  You
> can then extend the down-wind leg, turning only when your out-of-
> breath caller joins you and stops panting.  It's totally non-critical.

Geez!  I am getting the idea that a lot of callers can't get back to
their calling station in time without running and be panting when
they get there, unless the pilot does a Procedure Turn in lieu of a
180 degree turn.  I am no spring chicken, but I have no problem
getting to the calling station without panting.  Maybe some of us
need to lose a little weight.  <VBG>

Another point:  There has been a lot of discussion that many of you
want to see takeoff and landing scored in 1/2 points, rather than 0
or 10.  It's fine to carry on discussion about the subject here on
the NSRCA Discussion List.  However, I must assume that everyone who
feels that way will also contact their AMA district's contest board
member and express their opinion.  Board members often complain after
a vote that they received ZERO input from their constituents, so they
voted the way they felt was right.

Ron Van Putte