[NSRCA-discussion] Soft Motor Mount Recall

Jerry Budd jerry at buddengineering.com
Tue Mar 21 01:24:43 AKST 2006

Hi everybody,

As many of you are already aware, a small number of our motor mounts
produced prior to June 1, 2005 have failed under use.  The problem
was investigated and attributed to the adhesive we used at that time
to bond the rubber to the plastic disks.  Shortly afterward, we
switched to a flexible rubber-toughened cyanoacrylate adhesive,
IC-2000.  IC-2000 is much more durable and exhibits far greater
peel-strength than any of the other glues we've tested.  Please note
that there have been NO bond line failures of mounts assembled using
IC-2000 reported to us. For those who are interested, here's a link
to additional detailed info on our website:  http://tinyurl.com/pmj2x

While we have tried to "get the word out" about the problems we had
with the early motor mounts using the urethane adhesive, it's obvious
we haven't reached everyone.  We still occasionally receive a report
about a mount coming apart, and in every case to date, it has been a
mount assembled prior to June 1, 2005 with the urethane adhesive(s)
noted above.  However, any failure is one too many, so we've decided
to announce a recall of any Budd Engineering Soft Motor Mounts
produced PRIOR to June 1, 2005.

Here's the Terms of the Recall:

If you have a mount of ours that you purchased from us, or one of our
retailers, prior to June 1st, 2005 that you think may have been
assembled with the urethane glue, please do not hesitate to contact
us about it. We will exchange it out at no charge to you. If you want
to send the mount back we will update the mount and return it to you
free of charge. If you'd prefer to change out the mounting disk
yourself (it's easy to do as the mount was designed to be
serviceable), just send us an email indicating when and where you
purchased the mount and we'll send you a replacement disk, free of
charge, no questions asked.

If you have a prototype mount that you received from someone who was
asked to test it for us, the same offer as above applies. While it
should be expected that prototype test products would have some
problems (after all, that's why we test them), we will nonetheless
include them in this offer.

We value our customers and we think this is the least we can due to
alleviate their concerns.  We are truly sorry for any inconvenience
this may have caused them.

Thank you,

Jerry Budd
--