[NSRCA-discussion] Help Needed--Off-Topic (Cap 21 88" WS /GPGiantScale from 1980's)

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Thu Mar 16 14:35:05 AKST 2006

I have .60 size GP Cap 21 that I flew in pattern, started with a .91 four-stroke, ended up with a 1.20. I did not have much of a problem snapping, but then I took out over half of the recommended elevator throw. IMHO, that is the main reason the Cap earned the snapping reputation, most people put WAY too much throw in the elevator. I used the snap switch for the avalanche, and had to do an outside snap to keep the nose from dropping out.

  The "trimming" chart that came with the kit was junk. I tossed it out after reading about adding wingtip weight to correct pulling to the side in a vertical climb. The recommended throws, as you suggested, were bogus as well.

  Until I put the 1.20 in it, it was tail heavy and took a few ounces of weight in the cowl. I did several things to save weight in the tail while I was building it, and could have done more.

  Bob R.

Rick Wallace <rickwallace45 at hotmail.com> wrote:
      Chris -
  No experience w/ that CAP 21, but my GP .60 size one could be a real handful - with the recommended CG and throws it would snap out at the top of an inside loop... not friendly for a nove aerobatic pilot...
  I'd say the design fully earned the nickname 'SNAP21'...
Rick