[NSRCA-discussion] Servos

David Lockhart DaveL322 at comcast.net
Wed Mar 8 17:24:41 AKST 2006

Nylon has better wear properties and the geartrains can be produced with tighter lash without risk of binding.  The only real reason I can see to use metal gears is to increase strength without increasing volume - which is needed when these servos are used in applications with high impact loads (big IMAC style stuff and some of the glider stuff - mostly for "shock" at landing as I understand it).

The "sa" is the nylon gear version - actually, to be accurate, all the servos I listed use a metal pinion on the motor, three nylon intermediate gears, and the final output gear is metal (to reduce flex in the output shaft).  FWIW, depending on the servo, you can save 0.1+/- oz changing the final output gear to nylon.

Dave