[NSRCA-discussion] NEW IOTA 55amp POWER CONVERTERS

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Tue Mar 7 03:22:27 AKST 2006

I guess this assumes the charger is 100% efficient?

  Has anyone measured the current draw from the 12v source while the charger is putting out x amps?

  From what I gather, the Iota will be the limiting factor. I believe the Iota will go into a constant-current mode once the 55 amp rating is reached, IOW, the voltage will drop. This will limit the power drawn from the generator.

  Another way to approach this is to use a small deep-cycle battery connected to the Iota output. The battery will not have to carry the full load of the chargers, just the excess that the Iota might not be able to supply. When one of the chargers is done, the deep cycle battery is charged back by the Iota.

  Bob R.

Robert Mairs <robertm at sssnet.com> wrote:
  Verne,
If your charging 10s, the max the 1010 can charge at is 5amps. that's 42v x
5amps = 210watts.

2 chargers charging at this rate would be 420watts.

5s @ 10amps would be 210watts.

4 chargers at this rate would 820watts.

You could run two 10S chargers at the 5amp setting without any problem with
the power supply or generator.
4 chargers at 10amps for 5S would overload your power supply, but the
generator should still handle it. It would be close because the generator
prob isn't 100% efficient.