[NSRCA-discussion] 2C Pipe vs Muffler

Jerry Budd jerry at buddengineering.com
Mon Mar 6 19:42:26 AKST 2006

>I do not know of a readily available muffler for the big 2Cs in the
>US at this time.  The Bolly 480 and 590s were among the best, as is
>a muffler I picked up from Jerry Budd from Stefan Fink years ago
>(very light alum, I believe it was made by Graeber in Germany).

I got that muffler from Stefan while visiting him in Germany in Feb
2000.  It was the same design muffler he had used the previous
several years with the Webra 145 (97 WC's) and with the prototype
Webra 160's (99 & 01 WC's).  The interesting thing about it was
Stefan got the same performance with that muffler as he did with the
pipe's he tried.

According to Stefan the trick was to keep the muffler length very
long, something like 650-680 mm from the plug to the rear of the
muffler (he used standard length headers with ~3" extensions).  With
this setup (9mm dia MC carb, 25% nitro fuel, APC 15.5-12 4 blade
prop) he had enormous power and torque, 8400 rpm IIRC.  I got similar
numbers the flights I tried that prop but I was using the ES 2C140L90
pipe set at 24" plug to first baffle.  BTW - we also tried the ES
2C140S90 pipe with the exact same setup and it was 150 rpm less than
the L pipe.

Jerry
--
Jerry Budd