[NSRCA-discussion] OS Shadel piston/liner

Ed Miller edbon85 at charter.net
Mon Mar 6 12:14:40 AKST 2006

I'm not sure how one plug going out would cause the engine to go lean.  At best having 2 plugs would cause the point of combustion to be a bit earlier OR ( what I believe ) would cause a slightly more efficient burn of the compressed air fuel mixture. Having 2 plugs also may ward off a sudden engine failure due to a blown glow plug.  The real advantage in my book of the Mintor head is it is made from bar stock, not cast and therefore has a better thermal efficiency, it sheds the head of combustion quicker and better than the cast head.  The lighter weight and second plug which may improve mid range are just a bonus.  If I look back at older OS and YS engines, the more "high performance" versions of the same engine had machined bar stock heads. For example the YS61AR and the YS 61R, the AR having besides other improvements a machined bar stock head versus the 61R die cast head.
Ed M.