[NSRCA-discussion] First day out with OS 140RX (somewhat long)

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Fri Mar 3 15:43:46 AKST 2006

David, with judicious use of good material one can hack an ARFie model  to
less than 10lbs. I did it with my Temptress (Temptation very heavy composite
fuse and own feathers, own gear design, etc). The span isn't full 2 meters (76")
 but it's close. The 530sqin wing panels are 15 ozs each all paint, which is
too  heavy I feel. Lighter is doable with better technique. If I wanted to use
 lightweight transparent film I could have saved maybe 1/2 oz each panel.

Starting with a clean slate, I believe a craftsman can build a full blown
pattern model at around 9 lbs RTF, for fuel power. Possibly lower. That's  about
what i shoot for for wet and 9.5 for present state electric power. I  am
working on an idea to make 530sq in plug in wing panels RTF at about 10 ozs  all
paint. Think its possible and stay together for the long haul. Trick is to
make these techniques user friendly enough that anyone with average building
skill can do it.

There are many places to save weight in any model, one of the easiest being
the heavy ply reinforcing around the landing gear box. I don't believe a box
and  block is necessary. Load distribution is the key and that's doable in
other  ways.

Another place is to toss that composite stab in the garbage and build one  at
the right weight. Composite rudder also. That's often crap. Of course if one
doesn't know how to make these parts from scratch at the right weight, then
thats no bargain either. And if the ARFie is heavy elsewhere to compensate,
well  that's really no bargain.

I look at it this way. Our CL Stunt cousins build 60 sized models that  weigh
in 50-55 ozs with about 700 sq in of wing, and it's all paint. These guys
are real masters at the craft. I am learning from them and I urge anyone who is
keen on building and finishing technique to take a much closer look. Ohh, I
forgot, they still have the builder of the model rule in place.

regards,
Matt

In a message dated 3/3/2006 12:49:49 PM Eastern Standard Time,