[NSRCA-discussion] First day out with OS 140RX (somewhat long)

David Lockhart DaveL322 at comcast.net
Thu Mar 2 18:30:13 AKST 2006

I agree that a good running YS is a great glow powerplant for pattern, and
the folks at YS Performance provide great service to the YS faithful.  And
to get solid performance, you need only to slap on any one of a number of
headers and mufflers at pretty much any length, dump lots of 30% nitro low
viz oil fuel, bolt on a prop that will hit sufficient RPM to bust the
noisemeter at 80% stick, and set the needle.  Good power, good torque, and
nice throttle curve are the likely result - along with plenty of noise and
vibration (relative to a 2C).

Should you choose the 2C glow - the upfront is substantially lower, and
either the OS140RX, Mintor140, or Webra160 will save you 3-4 oz on the
engine alone (mounts, props, spinners, headers, muffler/pipes are pretty
much a wash), and another 1-2 can be pulled off the OS and Webra if you feel
the need.  And they will run on cheap 15% nitro and make plenty of power.
And I've found 12 oz of fuel in a simple two line tank more than enough to
get through F3A flights in any condition (as a matter of fact, I have done
PO5 2x in calm air on 12 oz).  So in comparison to the YS (which uses 20 or
more oz of high test in a double walled bladder tank for the same flight
time), my takeoff is about ONE POUND lighter.  Why do we work so hard to
shave ounces and grams off the planes?  ......And the down side of the 2C -
to get the lighter weight, lower vibration, cheaper purchase and operating
cost, you will need to learn how to tune the tuned pipe (it ain't called
"tuned" pipe for no reason) - or just copy anyone of the many setups around
that already have a nice fat torque curve and good throttle response.

Of course, that is just my experience of 20 years having bought every single
ST, Rossi, YS (2 and 4C), OS, and Webra I've ever competed with (and soon to
be ?? electric motor).

Regards,

Dave Lockhart
DaveL322 at comcast.net