[NSRCA-discussion] IMAC Vs Pattern Participation? Does the DogHunt on points made?

brett terry brett.terry at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 16:37:12 AKST 2006

At my last IMAC competition I tried to present my maneuvers somewhat close,
tried to be precise, and tried to increase the visibility of my plane.  The
judges told me to fly further away, because it can slow down the routine.
People were flying the back side of the roller at the limits of vision, and
this is with 35% - 40% planes!  Some of these planes could fly away from the
transmitter, and still be within vision limits.  So much for positioning and
"presentation".  It is exceedingly difficult to recognize the difference
between a vertical line and 15 degrees off...The deviation point deductions
are mere speculation.  Forget about trying to determine the number of
wingspan deviations during a hammerhead.

Most people, myself included, want to learn all the fun freestyle tricks
with the big planes.  Most spectators don't care about how well an IMAC
plane can slow roll, or maintain track during unweighted snaps, or perform
precision aerobatics, they want to see it blast out of a hover, Panic,
Blender, Rolling Harrier, Roller Coaster, Waterfall, and in general act like
a foamie.

It has become the Olympic Snowboard Half Pipe event of the model airplane
world, including the requisite adjectives, "Extreme", "Alternative" (if
'alternative' is in the mainstream, can it still be considered
'alternative'?), "Radical", "Hucking", etc.

There, I feel better now.  Back to precision.  Of course, I do enjoy the
turnaround setup...

Brett