[NSRCA-discussion] Notes to Self 8

twtaylor twtaylor at ftc-i.net
Mon Jun 26 07:25:19 AKDT 2006

Notes to Self 8

Last time we visited our Dynamic Duo there was one practice day left before
the contest. So we pick our story up at the local Club Flying Field.....

"Ok there OFB I need to get at least two flights in today before we head off
to this contest."

OFB "Well I think you'll need more than just a few flights."

"YEAH YEAH YEAH, Just help me get everything put together you putz."

So our pattern buddies spend the next hour or two practicing the Advance
Pattern Sequence.

"Well there OFB that doesn't look too bad does it"

"Snicker Snicker Snicker", "I think you need another month!"

"Well I don't have another month Ole Master of the Obvious"

"Well there pattern king we'll just have to hope for the best"

The next morning, Pattern King gets up bright and early and packs up for the
weekend as Mrs. Pattern King gives him the evil eye.

"Rutro, I know that stare". "Well forgiveness is easier to get than
permission" Wonder what she'll buy when she goes shopping today"? "Guess
I'll find out when I get home".

OFB and PK meet at the local Mickey D's for breakfast and fill up the ice
chest and head off to find the flying field.

After a few minutes of driving in circles following OFB we find the field
and get parked and start to unload the trailer.

VAROOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With my back turned to the runway a full sized something made a touch and go
and startled everyone that wasn't watching. Nothing like that to get your
heart pumping.

Ok we find the sign up tent and get all signed in and start talking to
everyone, boy it's good to see old friends again.

"Man OFB when did these guys move to FAI and Masters?" "Last time I saw them
they were flying sportsman"

"Well that was ten years ago you big dummy"   "Oh yeah I guess it was"

We have the normal pilots meeting and they say "Let's get FLYING!!!!!!!!!"

Ok by now you'd think I MIGHT get a break seeing is it's been over ten years
since I flew a complete round in a contest but nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Robert Gainey has a warped sense of Humor and puts me up FIRST!!!!!!!

"Oh joy OFB we get to show them how's it not supposed to be done I guess"

"Well you're the right pilot for that!"

"You know OFB there's a backhoe right over there and I know how to make a
deep hole with one"

OK

Round one PK takes off and does a pretty decent take off and turns into the
box and does the rev Cuban 8 and gets to the stall turn and watches the
airplane go to vertical and just amazed that it's going straight up and then
it happens  FLOP!!!!.

"(&^)^#)%_@&+^%^)(@^$  I have not flopped a stall turn in ten years!!!

I hear this snicker behind me and lots of muffled laughter under the tents.

"That's ok there PK you'll have more chances to flop more before the weekend
is out. You actually have to hit the RUDDER to do a stall turn"

"Oh yeah I forgot"

Ok the rest of the flight goes as well as I expect and I land and talk to
OBF about the flight.

"We don't have enough time for me to go over everything you did wrong in
that flight"

"Thanks OFB I need that type of support."

Man that back hoe is looking better all the time.

Did I mention I really should be looking for a new flying buddy yet?

I am taking resumes.

Ok second round

OFB  " You can do this better this flight"

Ok so hold up on the resumes,

 "Ok that flight looked MUCH better than the first.

OBF " I think you might have won that round"

PK "Did the other guy flame out or something about half way through"?

"No he didn't, your flight was pretty good"

"Hmmmmmmm maybe I've not lost my touch."

OFB "Well I wouldn't go THAT far just yet"

Now I wonder where they put the keys to the back hoe.

About that time I cornered one of the judges that scored me on that flight
and asked him if he could give me some pointers on my flight.

"Well you're missing your angles pretty badly on the triangle rolling loop
and the point rolls across the top are way off center"

"What do you mean the angles are off"? I did the best 60 degree angle I
could do"

Judge "Well ok but it's supposed to be a 45 and the center of the point roll
is with the airplane in knife edge. Not like a four point across the top
like you're doing them"

Hmmmmmmmmm ok so I get smart, about time heh? ,and go read the rule book and
dang if he isn't right.

OFB, "Well I don't know how but you won that round"

We get 3 rounds in on Sat and I hold my own and do as well as I really
expected to do.

BTW I flopped the stall turn in round 3 as well.

*^%$(*!(*&%!*($^!)* OFB is really getting on my nerves.

Ok Sunday morning dawns bright and early.

Round 4

"OK there OFB we need to win this round if we're to have a chance"

"Take off is Now judges!"

As pattern king turns back for the down wind trim pass that SAME terrible
noise happens again!

Pop! Flflflflflflfllflflfllfllflf as the prop winds down.

OBF "what the heck is that?

"The damn glow plug came out again"

"I thought you replaced the head"

"I did"

"So much for round 4"

The judges tell me to go get a new plug and they'll let me re fly the flight
from take off.

"Kewl I'll be right back"

We get a new plug installed and I ask "Why are they letting me do this?"

OFB "Your competition went home last night so you're alone in the class"

"Oh, ok so it really doesn't matter then"

"OH BOY !!!!!!!!!!! I won Rounds 4 and 5!!!!!!!!"

OBF "Well yeah you were the only one flying in the class today"

"I really need to find the keys to that backhoe"

Fade to Black

So I won the contest in Advance mostly because the other flier went home
Sat, after watching him fly, I doubt I could have won but maybe one more
round. He's pretty dang good. There's always next time. :-)

So the end result is we got in 5 good rounds and I didn't make any of the
judges wet their pants nor did I soil mine. I got to renew some old
friendships and met new people in this hobby we love and hope to fly in a
few more contests this year.

Now about those Resumes for a NFB............