[NSRCA-discussion] OS 140RX rough and inconsistent idle

Ed Miller edbon85 at charter.net
Mon Jun 26 02:17:49 AKDT 2006

Have an OS 140RX that has developed a rough and inconsistent idle. Engine
runs perfectly except for idle. It has a Mintor head with either an OS F or
K&B 1L in center plug and an OS A5 in the angled plug position, a Perf Spec
AAC piston/liner assembly and a Boca sealed SS rear bearing. I have the head
mounted with angled plug towards the front or carb side of engine. Fuel is
S&W 20 nitro, 16 synthetic and 2 castor. Engine has 7 gallons of fuel run
through it. Prop is an APC 15.75 x 11 3 blade by Dave Lockhart.  The lowest
I can get the idle before it quits is 1900 ~ 2000 rpm and it is rough,
sounds like it is firing every other revolution. Idle mixture screw is
working, I can richen idle to point where engine will barely transition from
being rich and I can lean mixture so the transition is fine but engine slows
at idle like it is too rich. While it is slowing with either the idle
mixture screw lean or rich, engine is rough, again like it often fires every
other revolution at times. I used to be able to reliably idle this engine at
1300 rpm. I have a second OS 140RX set up exactly the same except it doesn't
have the AAC piston/liner and it runs/idles perfectly. Tried cleaning the
carb/spray bar with no change. I once had a Super Tiger that exhibited
similar characteristics due to a worn out con rod.  Is it possible the con
rod on this OS could cause this issue ?? Any suggestions will be greatly
appreciated.
Ed M.