[NSRCA-discussion] Electric props

Larry ledunn at centurytel.net
Thu Jun 22 22:36:31 AKDT 2006

Hi Stuart,

We need more info. Unfortunately, electrics have more variables than IC
setups.

What plane is this going into? Specifically what is the all up weight of the
plane going to be and how much power do you think you need?

What size battery pack are you going to run - ?S?P and what capacity?

Also, what gear ratio?

To start answering your question - every item in an electric power system
has an effect on power output and amp draw.

Larger diameter/higher pitch props will draw more current and produce more
power than smaller ones. Assuming all other variables stay the same.

However, you cant just arbitrarily increase/decrease the prop size. The
total power system has to work together. The batteries need to be able to
sustain the load and the motor needs to be able to handle the power output.

Larry