[NSRCA-discussion] Noise rules

Lance Van Nostrand patterndude at comcast.net
Wed Jun 21 19:54:12 AKDT 2006

I'm not sure if there may be a perception that measuring at 25 feet is somehow more palatable than at 10 ft.  If this is the feeling in your club then go for it.  However, I know from experience that all influences on the measured result (wind, hard/grass, fences, proximity to a covered pit echo chamber, cars, etc) are exponentially amplified with distance.  I measured the same Extra330 with a large gas engine in every way possible and found the results varied from 101-105 db.  This is a huge variation.  Upwind/downwind in about 10 mph winds is worth 2-3 db.  At 10 ft the variation was from 102-103 db.  If you have a guy with a plane near the limit he may argue your measurement result.  If you say the lmit is the highest value measured then you are really restricting some guys with loud planes to less than the nominal. If you provide leeway, then your limit is effectively raised.  It opens a can of worms.

Lance