[NSRCA-discussion] Sportsman supplemental rules?

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Mon Jun 19 09:16:42 AKDT 2006

John,

  I see your point, but this plane is 2m legal, it is just over the 11lb limit. It has a Bisson muffler and is quieter than most all the gassers at my club, and quieter than a lot of the sport planes that I have seen Sportsman/Novice flyers show up with. At least in this instance, oversize and noisey is not a problem.

  SOAPBOX TIME:

  FWIW, the only time I've ever seen a plane hit somebody bad enough to hurt them, it was by a long time pattern flyer (advanced class) flying a pattern plane, and it was because he could not keep it on the runway and was not about to abort the takeoff and take a zero. The person he hit was not on the flightline, he was deep in the pit. The plane was airborne and was full throttle when it hit. It did have a muffled tuned pipe, and was very quiet, however.

  Matt and I visited an IMAC contest recently.  Several flyers had someone more experienced perform the takeoff and landings for them, since the field was small and there was a bit of a crosswind. One of the contestants was only 9 years old.  At no time did I feel there was any danger to anyone, either on the flightline or in the pit. There were a few contestants there that would not have been comfortable flying, and probably would not have flown, if they were required to perform their own takeoffs and landings. And I'm sure it would not have been as safe, either.

  I wasn't sure before, but I am 100% sure now, that scoring takeoffs and landings is a bad idea, not only from a safety point of view, but also from the participation level viewpoint as well. I've witnessed both sides.

  Just my 2CW.

  Getting back to my original question, I'll be sure to contact the CD. If my 11 year old son goes to a pattern contest, he might just decide he likes pattern better than IMAC. Then again, maybe not, if he prangs his plane because he is forced to takeoff/land in bad conditions.

Bob R.

John Ferrell <johnferrell at earthlink.net> wrote:
          It real scary with two lines going for the guys flying opposite big noisy airplanes that could not manage to stay on the runway. We generally leave it up to the CD. My choice as CD is not requiring anyone else to fly with an oversize airplane at the same time.

  John Ferrell    W8CCW
"My Competition is not my enemy"
http://DixieNC.US