[NSRCA-discussion] Voltage regulator maintenance/replacement/reliability

rcmaster199 at aol.com rcmaster199 at aol.com
Fri Jun 16 12:25:40 AKDT 2006

Chris,

One more thing to consider regarding airborne VRs. I am not sure of the circuitry in your failed VR however, in Ed's VR design, he uses a heat sink on the device to absorb the heat build up due to the resistive voltage drop. Ed stated that if the voltage is regulated to say 5.5 volts from the 7.4 nominal voltage of the Li-ion or LiPo, the heat generated and requiring dissipation isn't trivial.

If the regulated voltage is closer to nominal, say 6.5V, things stay happier longer without heat sinks. He gave me a heat sink regardless and just in case things gothot for some reason, but so far it isn't needed. I'm not trying to sell Ed's gizmo, I'm not sure he wants that much business. Only pointing out that there are a couple ways these designs could be approached and be effective. Reliability is another matter that can only be achieved in time

Matt