[NSRCA-discussion] more stuff - notching the throttle stick....

Mike Hester kerlock at comcast.net
Wed Jun 14 13:26:36 AKDT 2006

On a really wide body plane in even the slightest crosswind, there's a fine
line between letting the plane set into the wind naturally or leaning on the
rudder. This all changes according to the strength of the crosswind and the
speed you fly, not to mention the design itself. Like if you have a vertical
with rolling segments, if the wind is pushing out, you already know to lead
the rudder SLIGHTLY to hold the line instead of chase it. It's much easier
to slightly correct all the way through a manuever than it is to wait until
it goes off course and then stab the rudder and pray the judges weren't
looking.

If you're really connected to the plane and in practice, it comes fairly
naturally (hopefully). So that was what I meant. Maybe it's just me that has
this problem, don't know. But that left stick is the first thing to go, and
the last to come back for me. A well trimmed plane minimizes this, and one
that doesn't roll right or is out of trim....you can't chase it enough to
keep it straight everywhere.

I hope that made sense, I know I didn't word it exactly like I meant it.

Dang I need to let Dave handle this one, I'm still learning it myself!

-Mike