[NSRCA-discussion] Black Magic website updated

Mike Hester kerlock at comcast.net
Wed Jun 7 13:44:17 AKDT 2006

Well, on a plane like this, it all starts with the wood selection and the lay up of the composite parts. I use all hand picked balsa, and weigh every piece. I get a lot more than I need then use the lighter stuff. These I'm flying are what I would consider "medium" grade, or about 14-15 grams per sheet for the 1/16x4x36 sheeting. The composite parts, well...let's say I have gone through a few gallons of epoxy 1/2 oz at a time and I'm still playing with it. But they are pretty good. Not European kind of good, but better than average, and light.

I'm not sure there's anything strategic about it, except experience. lots of trial and error. I did my best to pass along what I know in the plans and in the thread on RCU. In time I'll have a lot of stuff on my web site too, so hopefully that'll help everyone, not just Black Magic builders. I certainly don't have the market cornered on building light, but I seem to have reached a point where I know enough tricks to share. Especially with this type of construction. Somewhere Terry Brox has some GOOD info on sheeting foam wings, and although I do it slightly different, therein lies a VERY good guide on how to sheet everything, not just wings. And this plane is about 65% sheeted foam.

Also a good quality epoxy helps a lot. MGS is my first choice, but West systems is fine and can be bought in quart sizes. I HATE that hobby shop goo for anything except some structural areas. It's just too thick and heavy. There's no real strength in extra glue.

Also always take into account what type of power you'll be using. if you're using a banging 4 stroke, it's a good idea to beef some thing up slightly. 1/4" balsa triangle stock in corners, things like that. With an electric, there's practically no vibration, so you can really back off on a lot of things. Just make sure you don't take out too much in the wrong places =)

Anyway, without having to make this a 3 part post, it's not that hard, but experience and technique (BOTH of which are easily learned) always help.

-Mike