[NSRCA-discussion] Fw: AMA Pattern Nationals on-linereportingservice.

Ed Miller edbon85 at charter.net
Sat Jul 22 05:47:23 AKDT 2006

As a first time competitor at the Nats all I can say to those who have yet to make the trek, you need to be there.  Stop saying next year, just do it.  No amount of creative journalism nor digital pictures can even scratch the surface of what the facility is like nor the day to day happenings during the week. The sheer size of the facility and numbers of the competitors makes timely information gathering a monumental task. Let's face it, the Nats isn't being covered by the staff of the ABC news but by a bunch of diehard volunteers making the best with what is available. For competitors and fans on site, scores were available in a timely fashion.
For those planning to go in '07 or beyond be warned, Muncie has got to be the most humid place on the planet. Every day is as hot and humid as you can imagine and then some. I live in eastern Tennessee, but formally from NY and was not prepared for the level of heat and humidity the Midwest can dish out.
I have 2 experiences from the week long trip to remember, the week competing after a 3 year layoff and the drive through the Heartland of America which in many places, disintegrating.  I will cherish my memories of the former but the latter will forever remain in my soul as a disturbing reminder of forgotten Americans.
Ed M.