[NSRCA-discussion] paint-new topic...paint death

Gray E Fowler gfowler at raytheon.com
Wed Jul 12 11:25:41 AKDT 2006

I looked up Imron.  First, on a previous post I responded to "single
stage"  and I had their terminology wrong. Single stage IS their reactive
themosetting fuel proof no clear coat required polyurethane paint. So no
clear coat required, like PPG Concept.

Second, Concerning death by paint....What the problem here is the hardener
( cannot remember their name for it) which is called isocyanate. The
material reacts with water vapor. When mixed with the polyester paint
resin (yeah thats what the paint is) the isocyanate reacts with the resin
catalyzed by water vapor. This in turn is called a polyurethane.  When the
paint is sprayed and atomized into tiny little bits, it is easily inhaled
into the lungs, which are generally wet. The isoscyanate reacts with lung
water to form a crystal in the lungs.  Acute exposure results in Flu like
symptoms within 12 hrs...the more exposure the sooner the symptoms.
Extreme overdose results in death, but we are talking extreme. Regardless,
it is not good for you to breath.

Bad news, all of you feeling safe with Concept...no such luck...same
stuff. And for all the lovers of HobbyPoxy...that was removed from the
market due to lead based pigments (lead poisoning in the lungs) and the
lack of a real market big enough to support the costs of "reformulation".

For us Pattern Dudes who gotta spray the ocassional plane...

If you are spraying outside, you can avoid serious exposure. On a day with
a mild breeze always stay up wind. Choose a day when the breeze is aimed
at the neighbor you do not like.....really if you are close to something
sensitive (cars, kids, etc) do not spray. Hold your breath if you are in
the vicinity of the overspray. Be smart and be aware of the exposure and
you will, most likely, survive.

All that other stuff....asbestos suit, oxygen supply etc...thats for
people who use this day in and day out, in enclosed paint booths 8
hours/day.

If you already have asthma or other medical problems stay away from this
stuff.  Remember, if it were so deadly,  they would not sell it over the
counter to every nimrod that walks up...like they do now.

Request from your supplier a Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS). But DO NOT
ask for a MSDS sheet (Material Safety Data Sheet Sheet), or guys like me
will know your are a novice and treat you poorly.
Read it, assess your risk, paint or no paint daplane.
Any questions email me..... Ex-MSDS, most solvents cause liver damage AND
cancer in California rats only.

Gray Fowler
Senior Principal Chemical Engineer
Radome and Composites Engineering