[NSRCA-discussion] Snap

Jim Woodward jim.woodward at schroth.com
Wed Jul 5 04:33:53 AKDT 2006

Adam, Nat,

Great comments.  I personally think a small part of the total issue is that
for the majority of pattern pilots the snap roll is more of a theoretical
problem and maneuver encountered few time, and without the expectation of
making the total maneuver as "precision" as it can get.  With the US Nats
change this year to having F07 on Wednesday, I am (and I'm sure a lot of
other FAI pilots) are practicing the sequence quite a bit and it has 4
maneuvers with 5 snaps in the sequence (positive and negative, 1 or 1.5
revolutions).  So, for this particular sequence, the pilot must do
everything you can to retain every point of the whole maneuver.  The more
you practice it, the better you can become with wind correcting, snapping
within the geometry of the maneuver, and at the different airspeeds in that
portion of the maneuver.  So, the tendancy (again, my thinking here), is for
this class to basically converge on the style snap roll that will allow you
to "retain" the most points for the total maneuver, potentially judged by
folks with instruction or opinions like what we've seen here:  Pilot must
show me a pitch break, Pilot must demonstrate to me...  When I hear someone
say this particular sequencing of the snap - it sounds more like, '...
looking for pilot to fly off line, then snap, then correct back to line.'  I
think that keeping up with the pilots fast fingers and fast responding
airplane, while applying the "must see X before Y" criteria would be
difficult for judges.  Also, I think Nat Penton's description from earlier
in the post hits the nail on the head.

Thanks,
Jim W