[NSRCA-discussion] PowerPoint Presentations

Jim Woodward jim.woodward at schroth.com
Mon Jul 3 04:29:00 AKDT 2006

Hi Guys,

http://www.aircraftstudiodesign.com/pittspython/gallery.php

Regarding snaps, take a look at this video page of the new Pitts bi-plane.
There are links to a "vertical snap" video, and a "double snap" on take off
video.  The angle of each video is great.  The pilot is kind enough to have
the smoke on during the takeoff snaps.  These videos just demonstrate to me
that the model community is getting way too picky in trying to state that
the plane must do "x" before it does "y" to receive max points.  In a
practical sense the closer the pilot is to getting a 10 or
"maintaining-track" during a snap, the closer he is to getting a zero or at
least severely downgraded, primarily because the judges are instructed to
look for an over exaggerated criteria of "pitch-break" first.  The loop of
pilot control input, plane's reaction, and judge perception (or grading of
maneuver observation based on this staggered snap judging criteria), is
different for each skill level of pilot and skill level of judge.  Also, the
judging criteria seems to lock in a particular single sequence of
transmitter usage (IE, elevator first then other inputs). Does that mean
that any pilot that uses a snap button - which inputs all control inputs at
once, automatically receives a severe downgrade?  Should there be a rule to
outlaw snap buttons?  Also, the faster the pilot can input the elevator then
other controls, correspondingly reduces the effect the judges are instructed
to look for (IE, pitch break first). Also, there seems to be a belief by
some that you cannot perform a good snap roll without deviating the line -
(IE, someone states "...I know it was a snap because you had to correct the
line afterward).  Thus, to my reading, there exists conflicting
judging/scoring criteria for this maneuver.  What is also neglected in the
current definition is that where it states 'speed of the snap is not a
judging criteria' (seemingly intented to protect folks who want to perform a
docile slowly rotating snap) however - judges are quick to say - "...pilot
uses is too much aileron".  Is 45 degrees of aileron throw too much?

I personally like what has happened to clarify the spins and hope a similar
approach can be taken or is underway with the snap definition.  My opinion
has changed a bit on this particular topic as I started flying sequences
that require more of these maneuvers to be done.  If you spend a lot of time
practicing them on straight lines, 45s, and looping maneuver (avalanches),
the conversation quickly moves from theoretical to practical.  The snaps in
these two video links would be severally downgraded or zeroed according to
the precision aerobatics definitions.  Food for thought.  Not about me, just
about the snap definition and critera.

Thanks,
Jim W.