[NSRCA-discussion] Toyota

Ed Miller edbon85 at charter.net
Thu Jan 26 12:05:06 AKST 2006

Yes and no. I forget the exact term used for the fund to compensate laid off workers but generally speaking, in times of mass layoffs many get very little or nothing, as was my case in '82. The person drew approximately their base salary AFTER taxes and few ever saw 52 weeks worth. Most only see a percentage of their base salary for a very short period of time. In the case of plant closings, the major auto companies have tried, by giving severance pay, to minimize the impact on the local economy and the individual. I guess it's OK for a CEO to get a golden parachute but not the rank and file. I guess my point was missed, we ( Americans ) ought to support each other a little more. In a global economy if we go around bashing each other and North American based companies, we just make it easier for the competition to win. Believe me, this global economic war is going to be our toughest test. We are already behind the 8 ball with mature businesses and industries who pay benefits and pensions, something that generally doesn't exist around the globe....yet. It may someday but will take at least a generation.
Ed M.