[NSRCA-discussion] I give up -- almost new Webra 160 AAR aero with MC carb for sale

David Borrow teamvertical at excite.com
Sat Jan 21 16:51:34 AKST 2006

 David,   The Phoenix contest is Jan 28 and 29th. So you still have time to get the OS running strong and make it out to Phoenix. Highs should be in the low 70's. Hope to see you. Dave--- On Sat 01/21, David Flynt < dflynt at verizon.net > wrote:From: David Flynt [mailto: dflynt at verizon.net]To: nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.orgDate: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 16:33:09 -0800Subject: Re: [NSRCA-discussion] I give up -- almost new Webra 160 AAR aero with MC carb for sale

Well, I could trade you and sell the OS I suppose.  Could you please contact me at dflynt at verizon.net if you are interested? David
-----Original Message-----From: nsrca-discussion-bounces at lists.nsrca.org [mailto:nsrca-discussion-bounces at lists.nsrca.org]On Behalf Of Jim OliverSent: Saturday, January 21, 2006 4:10 PMTo: NSRCA Mailing ListSubject: Re: [NSRCA-discussion] I give up -- almost new Webra 160 AAR aero with MC carb for saleHello David,I havea NIB OS 140, Might be interested in a trade. Jim Oliver  David Flynt wrote:Let me first say to those who have achieved success with this engine -- youare intellectually superior, and you have magnitudes more patience than I.I tried over three long days to get this engine running, and on the ground Ithought I had this thing running quite well. It turns a 15.5x12 APC 4-bladeat 8000 rpm, brand new, at a rich setting, with 1/2 tank run through it. Ithas enormous power and compression. Too much compression in my opinion. Ican barely turn it over with a gear reduced starter. For me, it does nothand start easily with a chicken stick, although the first day I had
itstarting by backing up the prop against compression, when everything seemedjust right. It takes a strong glow to start this engine, especially whenyou are setting it up for the first time, as the low end tends to be quiterich.I studied material and seeked advice on how to set up and adjust thisengine. I spent a lot of time getting the linkage just right, and thenproceeded with care through the points on the throttle/mixture settings. Itseems straightforward once you understand the concepts, but on both trimflights, it died rich not long after takeoff. Today it died rich at about20 feet altitude, and the landing in brush should have ruined my brand newZNline Supreme. It should have at least ripped my landing gear off, tore awing off, dented or cracked something. Somehow it hit a patch of grass in athree-point attitude, and came out unharmed except for a minor tear in thegear pant. Unbelieveable luck.After missing the Phoenix contest this weekend because of my troubles,
Idecided last weekend that I was not going to keep this engine. I bought anOS 140rx to replace it, because an engine like the Webra, althoughsophisticated and well made, is too complicated for me. I need somethingthat is easy to start and adjust. I think perhaps one of my problems isthat the engine could be moving around too much on the soft mount. PerhapsI have it set too rich on one or more of the mix points, or I need to spendmore time with this engine. Actually, I think if I spent another day withthis engine, I could get it running, but I have lost patience. Whatever iscausing my trouble, I want to be up front with the reason I am selling. Iran the webra today to give it one last chance, but I also wanted to get itrunning to know that it is suitable for sale on this list. There is nothingwrong with this engine in the hands of a patient, capable person. Itcertainly has power to spare.It is a shame I invested so ! much into this engine, and I did not get toenjoy the
performance. However, I am just glad that I did not ruin myplane. Oh, there was no crankshaft damage during the off runway landing,and no debris in the engine. I think it is a good engine if you know how torun it.Here is what I have for a discounted price (buyer pays actuall shippingcost. I will package with care):1 Webra 160 AAR aero with M/C carb. Has 1/2 gallon of cool power 15%through it. Original box, all manuals, decals, prop washer, -- complete.Near new, has only been run over the last two weeks. $375.002 Koyo Stainless steel rear bearings for this engine. These are are verynice bearings. $12.00 each1 tappered collet, new - $3.501 ring, new $22.001 bag (6 pieces) wrist pin clips, new $2.001 piston, new $35.00Regards,David Flynt_______________________________________________NSRCA-disc! ussion mailing listNSRCA-discussion at lists.nsrca.orghttp://lists.nsrca.org/mailman/listinfo/nsrca-discussion