[NSRCA-discussion] 3M tank configuration

Dean Pappas d.pappas at kodeos.com
Wed Jan 18 12:35:26 AKST 2006

I once had a problem when electrons and fuel both pooled up in the bottom of a fuselage, really!
The 22lb ducted fan F4D-Skyray that I flew in Team Scale for Mark Frankel at Top Gun, one year, had a practice-twin, without detail.
We were testing the then new K&B 100, when the engine spit the glo-plug out in the middle of a flight.
It had done that, a few times, and we were trying to figure out how to keep plugs in the engine: they would actually unscrew themselves, from the vibration!
The plug landed on a servo extension lead, this time, and the heat melted the insulation, caused a short, and lit the fuel drippings in the bilge.
I landed the dead-stick plane, thinking that the engine failure wasw my only problem.
As it stopped the almost invisible alchohol flames licked out the now-curling edges of the engine access hatch.
When it was done burning, a large Skyray-shaped fiberglass blanket lay on the Lakehurst runway:
with melted servos, retracts, and a glo-plugless motor laying in between the folds of the glass cloth.

Dean Pappas
Sr. Design Engineer
Kodeos Communications
111 Corporate Blvd.