[NSRCA-discussion] Soldering stations

John Pavlick jpavlick at idseng.com
Fri Jan 13 17:17:07 AKST 2006

Richard,
 Don't worry - you're not a nerd. The Hakko is a nice little iron. I use
mine for everything from SMT electronics (OK - I'm a REAL nerd) to soldering
throttle pushrod cables and even some parts on slot-car chassis and my
Harleys (OK - I'm not a REAL nerd anymore). It is actually better to have
more power in this case. Since it's temperature controlled, you won't
over-heat small wires if you set the temperature correctly. You will like
it. One thing I haven't tried - although it would probably work really well
because of the temperature control - is cutting foam. You obviously wouldn't
want to do this with a tip that you use for soldering electronics.
John Pavlick
http://www.idseng.com