[NSRCA-discussion] Soldering stations

Richard Strickland richard.s at allied-callaway.com
Fri Jan 13 13:25:28 AKST 2006

In 'doing' electric stuff, I really hadn't given any thought to the type of soldering irons or guns I was using--except to use(or would work) whatever I had handy at the time.  I'm taking a little time to restore an old car which needed much of it's wiring harness repaired after 30 years in a barn(rats ate it) (hindsight: shoulda bought a new one).  Orland is a body man and he had the car in his garage.  I took my gun and two irons over and after hassling with those for a while, he said "Use THIS"--which was a base model 40W Weller soldering station with a very pointy tip (Charlie Reed's old one).  I was impressed by how well the thing worked--enough so I popped for one at noon today.  It'll make those E connections a breeze.  I got a little larger --Hacko? 65W dial adjustable unit as the other was a little down on power for larger gauge or multiple wire joints.  I'm sort of amazed that they are pretty much only available at electronic distributors or online.  I did feel a little nerdy buying one.

Richard