[NSRCA-discussion] ** Klipped to repost ** Equipment costandpartiicpation --

Bill Glaze billglaze at triad.rr.com
Tue Feb 28 07:31:55 AKST 2006

Interesting post,Eric.  I was gone from pattern for a long time, and was
surprised at the huge change when I re-entered.  When I was flying before,
(50's and 60's) we had three classes: Single channel rudder only, "Mickey
Mouse" and Multi-channel.  All three classes used the same maneuvering sheet
that the judges held, and scored from.  You simply picked and chose what
maneuvers, and in what order, you wanted to do them, as well as in which
direction you chose to fly each one.  Frequently, those who could do all the
maneuvers on the sheet could be heard to ask the judge "Anything left?"
meaning, "Have I forgotten any maneuvers?"  It was the norm to do some
figures crosswind, because some of the airplanes tended to "corkscrew" in
consecutive loops; therefore, by doing these figures crosswind, in the
proper direction, the appearance of corkscrewing could be kept to a minimum.
So, you figured out your own "routine."  So, was it more "fun?"  At the
time, I thought so.  At least, at that time, it was the ultimate, complete
rejection of the turnaround routine.  And, guess what?  The person who flew
best was still the winner.
Maybe, just maybe, the folks from days of yore on this list, are correct
when they say that turnaround killed pattern.  Perhaps it just took a long
time to die.
But that still only partly explains the current lack of interest.
Lots of good thinking on board.  I'm enjoying trying to employ my brain
cells.

Bill Glaze