[NSRCA-discussion] ** Klipped to repost ** Equipment cost andpartiicpation --

Grow Pattern pattern4u at comcast.net
Tue Feb 28 06:05:20 AKST 2006

I remember when turnaround came about!  I think that turnaround in its own
right is not the issue. Why it came about was valid but is right at the root
of many of our problems.

The FAI world needed a more challenging set of maneuvers. This is not a new
thing and it is not uncommon to see a new maneuver cause design changes. In
this case the whole schedule changed our design thinking. It then added a
degree or two more of difficulty. You no longer could do your center
maneuver and then re-group. You were in the judges eye the whole time. (I
don't think that the judging guidelines or the schedule designs ever
completely caught up either. For example a top-hat turnaround and all of its
positioning issues!)

Turnaround  created a type of competition flying where a judge had more
opportunity to find errors and thus separate the "men from the boys".
Turnaround can therefore be said to have succeeded for the top-end group of
flyers. It was clear that they would not be discouraged by increased
difficulty. It also grew and created better, but perhaps fewer,  pilots in
all of the classes.

What it did to the rest of us is what we are living with today. I believe
that it reduced our ranks. Apart from the high performance equipment and the
associated costs, you now need the whole sky to practice. You do not have
option to bale out on the approach to a center maneuver if,  for example, a
sport-plane is on your radar. This drove us out of local fields and we went
"stealth!". Pattern is almost as invisible as pylon racing to a local club!

Just for fun, instead of theorizing a reply, just take a friend at your
field, who is a good sport flyer, and ask him to do a three or four of our
maneuvers with turnarounds. I doubt if you could inspire him to take up
pattern.  Then take a pilot and just have him do center maneuvers, one at a
time, with a "free" turnaround to set-up.  You will see a big  difference in
the enthusiasm to try that center maneuver.

I believe that the skill needed to fly a center maneuver is in most sport
flyers today, just as it was in the 80's. That did not change. But ask that
same skill to additionally perform scored turnarounds with no mental break
and you will see what I mean. I know that these are generalizations but in
my person sample of hundreds of club pilots in 20 years of my time in
pattern, I have seen it to be the norm.

Last but not least you can do most of the Masters and FAI center maneuvers
with any reasonably powered sport aerobatic plane.  It was popular to let
pilots chose a string of center maneuvers. Why did we take that away from
our pilots?  I hear "building-block-schedule design" all of the time. Who
said that making all of our 401-406 schedules into turnaround would make
good building-blocks.

You could have a system where only 406 (FAI) and 404 (Masters) flew
turnaround and have an increase in participation.

Should have stirred this pot on Monday but was building  :-)

Regards,

Eric.