[NSRCA-discussion] ** Klipped to repost ** Equipment cost and partiicpation --

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Tue Feb 28 05:53:02 AKST 2006

Del,

  Great post. I agree. I personally liked turnaround when it happened, but there were those that did not, and most of them dropped out.

  There are a lot of reasons why attendance is down, you mentioned most of them. And, you are correct that clubs have to decide whether it is economically feasible to hold a contest. It is a snowball thing, too. I remember when a few local contests in this area had 50 contestants, and at the same time there were at least 10 contests a year within a 3-4 hour driving distance from my house. Now the attendance is about 30 and the number of contests is about 5.

  I like the idea of the SPA. I hope to attend a contest this year, and have been trying to get interest in holding an event locally.

  Bob R.

"Del K. Rykert" <drykert2 at rochester.rr.com> wrote:
  I agree with many of the post I have been reading and very much so with
George's and Terry's post. When I look back at the earlier days of pattern
(70's) when all maneuvers were done center stage a person with fair flying
talent could compete and have fun and good time. Some even came out and
compete for the local pattern event only practicing a little during the week
prior to the pattern contest. The competition bar has been raised way beyond
that stage now and why we had a few leave when we went to turnaround. We
have been in steady decline for the most part since the beginning of
turnaround. Not looking only at NSRCA numbers but attendance of local meets
from those days. Due to the cost and poor attendance at some contests clubs
have to do a serious look at justification of holding events if low turnout
is result. Cost to compete have risen and some have to pick and choose which
event we will attend. Not always monetary choice but time choice. I know
there was a time when I would travel 4 hours to a local contest to have fun
and be somewhat competitive but now with the value of the airplane and cost
of getting to the events rising for me I have to look at justification if I
haven't practiced and don't know how the equipment is performing I now
choose to stay home work on equipment issues. The sport has become more
complex. One now needs a professional caller at their beck and call.. Not
just some warm body from the flight line. This is for local events folks..
Not the Worlds or Nat's. All of these changes do have a price that goes with
them. It has improved the caliber and quality of flying and only those very
strongly interested now participate. Many have used great and unique ideas
to help recruit new blood. Each idea will not work for all people or areas.
Unfortunately the old days of just letting new blood approach us are mostly
gone. These issues sure have not helped encourage attendance and pattern
participation IMHO.

Del
nsrca - 473