[NSRCA-discussion] Was Mini Brio, Now Pattern Longitevity

Mike Hester kerlock at comcast.net
Mon Feb 27 18:32:30 AKST 2006

ROFL!!!!

nahh I'm not out THAT much....I'm out that many hours though =) Although between these 4 planes, a new Sata Minijet, tape, sandpaper, primer and a crapload of paint I probably have close to $1000 in the paint....and brother I can't paint!!! But hey, I'm workin on it! maybe I can learn to polish real quick....so did I pass the roach check? hang on, I haven't weighed it yet, I put about a 1/2 pound of clear on it LOL

yeah I know, every time I test hop one like this my blood pressure goes off the scale until I finally ding it up....then it's just another beater.

back to the original topic for a sec, I believe ALL of those things should be viable, and none to the exclusion of any other. it really does come down to perception and the guy in the chair. the $6000 plane (which is just not practical for me) or a scratch built woodie (which is too much work and such for some) should be on the same level come contest day. The only difference the judge should see is the way it is flown.

Concerning looks, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. When I first saw a Smaragd, I gagged I thought it was so ugly. Now it looks ok. I used to think a Prophecy looked good, now they look wierd to me. Mark's Insight is different, no doubt. it doesn't look like any other pattern plane. But I judged that plane at the Nats. Believe me, it's a winner.

Material wise, each method has advantages and disadvantages. Wodd is very workable and practical, but it takes a lot of engineering and work to get a rounded plane out of flat wood.

Oh and you'll notice how many high dollar items I put in my scratch built planes....I'm not cheap, just somewhat practical. Somewhat........

I don't think you'd get away with sportsman. *cough*

-Mike