[NSRCA-discussion] Equipment cost and partiicpation -- a differentviewpoint (LONG)

Terry Terrenoire amad2terry at juno.com
Mon Feb 27 17:56:27 AKST 2006

Case in point!!!

In the AGS we have promoted pattern at the club field by "leading by
example". Then when some unsuspecting fledgling indicates just the
slightest interest, we start schooling him and encouraging him to atttend
a contest, even if not flying!

How well has it worked? In D-1, the AGS has produced the District champ
in Sportsman 5 of the past 6 years!

As the chief instructor last year, I took one promising new-comer and
groomed him. How? When it was just the two of us, I took one of my
pattern ships. After I helped him with a flight, it was his turn to help
me. I taught him how to call for me. It took a while for him to learn the
maneuvers, and what they looked like, and just when it was the right time
to give me the next maneuver. Then we would fly his plane again.
Over the summer he got more and more interested in just how I was doing
the maneuvers. He attended at least 3 contests with me and called for me
in all 3. He also split the gas cost with me!! Before the season was
over, he told me he wanted to compete in 2006, and asked what plane he
should persue. I ended up scratch building a Tiger II-60 for him. Highly
modified. It is now ready for the test flight and we are both getting
very ready for spring.

Here and now, I predict another Sportsman champ from the AGS this year.

How many other clubs in the country can boast to having started 6 new
competitors in the past 7 years??

That is what it takes to grow the sport! It is not unusual for our
members to make up 25% to 50% of the competitors at a contest.

Terry T.