[NSRCA-discussion] NiMH follow up

John Pavlick jpavlick at idseng.com
Mon Feb 27 16:12:52 AKST 2006

Jay,
 Yeah, I guess I forgot to point that out. The time applies to a fully
discharged pack (.9 ~ 1V  per cell). At C/10 it's pretty hard to hurt
anything by "overcharging" i.e. charge a partially discharged pack for 16
hours. At the higher rates it becomes a very real possibility. Normally for
"Fast" charging you'd use a good Peak detect charger: 0 delta V  or negative
delta V depending on the cell chemistry. For C/10 you can get away with a
low cost constant current charger - but you do need to shut it off! Ed also
pointed out that new packs generally need a full 20 hours on the charger at
C/10. I would agree that this is a good thing to do, but do remember to stop
charging them at 20 hours. It's easy to forget. Better yet use a timer, but
if you go this route, make sure that the charger won't turn into a
"discharger" when the input power is removed.
John Pavlick
http://www.idseng.com