[NSRCA-discussion] Pattern Longitevity

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Mon Feb 27 06:48:10 AKST 2006

Guys,

  Let me set the record straight on this, it seems everyone is confused about what I was originally trying to say.

  I never said, and never felt, that there was impressionist judging affecting my scores, either at local contests, or the Nats. When I flew badly, my scores reflected it, and when I flew well, I got good scores. It did not matter if I were flying an outdated design, a Cap 21, or even a Miss Martha.

  The only time I heard anyone say that I would not get the scores I deserved (FUTURE TENSE) was when a fellow competitor was trying to give me advice about what I should fly. Seems that when they were wearing the pilot's hat, they felt equipment mattered (more than it should, anyway). I'm glad they did not seem to feel that way when they were wearing the judge's hat.

  My point, that I was not able to eloquently convey, is that we, as pattern veterans, tend to leave the general modeling public with the impression that the latest, most expensive equipment is needed to be competitve.  Even as we are trying to tell them that expensive equipment is not needed, they are looking at what we bring to the field and say to themselves, "Yeah, right!".

Now, I am sure impressionist judging may exist, but I never felt like I was a victim of it, regardless of what I was flying. Thank goodness!

  Bob R.

  vicenterc at comcast.net wrote:
    Those "iimpressionist  judges" need to review the judging tape at least three times.  As always, judge education and training are the best approach.

  Vicente

From: "Lance Van Nostrand" <patterndude at comcast.net>
    Bob,
  Talk about confused.  Neither you nor I mentioned the Nats so I have no idea where that connection was made.  I really didn't think you had the answer to my question because in essence you were asking the same thing.  Sure, some planes draw nicer lines and appear more stable and paced than others, and I agree that you can get this without spending a lot of $$ or buying the plane of the season.  I am agreeing that when judges begin docking a pilot points because he didn't bring the "right" plane then they are being impressionist judges.  When a guy that usually finishes middle of the pack gets a 2 point downgrade and the leader does the same thing for a 1 point downgrade, that's impressionist judging.  At my last contest I got a 10 and a 5 from two FAI judges on a humptybump.  At least one, maybe both were impressionist judging.
    I think your post about pattern longevity is about promoting the attitude that we should be encouraging to others and to curtail frustrating new pilots by giving them false rules to follow.
  Hope that makes it clear as mud :)
  -Lance