[NSRCA-discussion] mini Brio

brett terry brett.terry at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 07:10:46 AKST 2006

Another option is to designate a formula incorporating wing area, weight,
fuse length and wingspan, and power.  RC Sailboats have the 10-Rater class
incorporating a design formula.  The formula is (I think) Length (meters) *
sail area (square meters) * (some constant)  = 10.0.    Essentially, boats
with short waterlines can have larger sails and boats with longer waterlines
are constrained to smaller sails.  Smaller sailboats are less capable of
controlling the larger sails, while the larger boats plane better on the
water.

Rather than limiting size, power, or mass directly, maybe we could institute
a formula based on wing loading, power loading, and wing span adding up to
some constant.

Just thinking...

There are a bunch of useable planes in this size range now.  Aeroworks new
Stingray looks very nice too.
http://www.aero-works.net/store/detail.aspx?ID=256

brett