[NSRCA-discussion] Number of backups

mike mueller mups1953 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 23 05:03:04 AKST 2006

 I think it has to do with how much you can afford both financially and timewise. Ideally we would all be able to afford 3 planes and be able to have the latest technology/designs. In the world I deal in it's best to have friends that have these resources as a backup. Last year was the 1st time in 5 years of competing since returning to the sport that I had a legit backup. I thought it would be neat. Reality was that I hated it. I would go to the field and practice with my #1. If things went well great if not I would dump the plane and switch to the other plane. I got so sick of the constant indecision that I sold one of them in the middle of the season. This allowed me to concentrate on 1 plane. It helped my flying. Now the deal with having good friends with backups involves having something that you can offer in return. I have yet to really need a backup except Bobby's DZ at the end of last season. I guess that I'm lucky.
   This year I will have 2 planes RTF again, one brand new and my #1 from last year. I hope it works out better this time. If not I will have a plane for sale mid season. Mike

vicenterc at comcast.net wrote:
    Hi Ed,

  I try to keep at least one backup.  I still have my old Hydeout as a back up.  I also have my old Focus I that is waiting for overall repairs.  However, I believe that it is a lot better to have at least two models that are equal.  I am waiting for my second Abbra so hopefully this year I will have two equal models.

  Regards,

  Vicente Bortone

From: Ed Deaver <divesplat at yahoo.com>
  I was sitting here wondering, for the competitive pilot, how many backup planes do you need in the hanger before you sell one.

  I feel 1 primary and 2 backups are a good number to get most through the season of doom, but have had that not be enough also.

  Just curious on everyone's thoughts.

  ed