[NSRCA-discussion] Electric vs. Glow

Ed Alt ed_alt at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 18 05:47:44 AKST 2006

Also, though it's a great thing if it can be implemented well, regenerative braking will contribute to heating of the motor and it may actually reduce the downline braking effect somewhat.  If you don't dissipate the energy into a load, the motor will spin at a higher RPM while windmilling, effectively increasing the disc area and allowing it to cool a little bit on downlines.  Re heating, when a load is applied (the battery under charge in  this case), the voltage generated by the motor windings now results in a fairly significant current flow (no, or very little flow happens without the charge path closed).  This will result in electrical power being dissipated in the windings, therefore heating will occur on a downline, not cooling.  Also, since the battery is already running warm, it may not be very good for it to get these brief and relatively large charging currents.  Not sure how bad that effect may be, but it's got to get evaluated by a battey expert.  Sure would be good to solve the problem and keep everything within safe parameters though.

Ed