[NSRCA-discussion] Electric vs. Glow

Joe Lachowski jlachow at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 17 13:32:47 AKST 2006

I'll throw something else in the mix which you can't put a price on. Loss of
hearing due to exposure time to noise generated from internal combustion
motors and the risk of cancer associated with the exposure to the fuel which
we come in contact with.

Of course on the electric side, you have risk of fire.

Let's throw in one more benefit in the electric direction, a big one,
keeping flying sites. Not to start a war here, but I've heard of a number of
fields over the last 5 yrs being lost or restricted in one way or another
because of loud IMAC style airplanes. Ask Dave Lockhart, because of some
IMAC planes he has had to by necessity to resort to flying electric in order
to take advantage of using a field local to him in the weekday evening
hours.

Del, glow fuel manufacturers don't guarantee their fuel why should the
battery mfg. Like the glow setup it is all up to the individual to
operate/maintain his equipment within the parameters they are designed to
operate. I've read enough on the web and magazines to now feel confident
that in most cases if you properly use and maintain your electric equipment
you should be able to get several hundred flights out of a pack.
Unfortunately, in our application we are on the bleeding edge and the jury
is still out. There are some who have over a hundred flights on a flight
pack already. Only time will tell and the technology still keeps improving.
On the downside, for some, if you don't fly several hundred flights a year
on your pattern rig, it is not worth it to fly electric due to battery shelf
life.

yada yada yada<g>