[NSRCA-discussion] Cooling inlet/out sizes???

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Mon Feb 13 14:36:00 AKST 2006

Tim:

Heat transfer from the cylinder's fins to the surrounding air flow is
maximized when the cowling is shaped around the cylinder such that the air  becomes
turbulent. For this to occur, the space betwen the shroud and the engine
should be some minimal amount like 1/4" to 3/8". There are no cowls available in
even the most expensive models that offer such shapes. In fact, some of the
more  popular models with the huge cowlings offer nothing more in terms of
cooling than large buckets up front where stagnant air collects, and it  matters
little how large the exit opening is.

I would add to what Ed has stated that proper ducting around an engine  will
keep it happier. The inlet doesn't really need to be terribly large as  long
as it smoothly transitions the air flow from inlet to cylinder/shroud. Then
turbulated air does its heat transfer most effectively. Exit area as Ed stated
earlier.

Matt

In a message dated 2/13/2006 6:07:34 PM Eastern Standard Time,