[NSRCA-discussion] Back to pattern stuff

David Lockhart DaveL322 at comcast.net
Wed Feb 8 20:40:16 AKST 2006

Just a couple other points of reference -

- My understanding of the aerodynamics of the small plate foamies is that
airflow separation on the control surfaces is more of an issue (no surprise
as the Reynolds numbers are so low) - to the point that it is quite possible
to move the control surfaces too fast - ie, moving them slower would retain
greater authority due to reduce airflow separation.

- I have a Stevens Edge 540 under way - should be covering this weekend.  It
will definitely use the 281s.  At the 2005 NEAT gathering, I loaned a couple
281s to Stevens for their prototype Edge 540 that was being demo'd - the
elev authority increased noticeably.

I've been beating the crap out of a bunch of 281s in 8oz to 18oz planes for
3 years now and never noticed an issue with torque or speed.  They are also
the servo of choice for QQ in his indoor stuff and I've heard him say the
speed is not an issue.  I know the 281s were the first digital servo in that
size range, and still might be the only digital in that size range (too many
servos to keep up with the parkflier explosion).  As with the larger servos,
it does make a difference (that I like).

Regards,

Dave Lockhart
DaveL322 at comcast.net
Team JR