[NSRCA-discussion] Back to pattern stuff

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Wed Feb 8 19:17:14 AKST 2006

David, it's regular polystyrene foam of approximately 2# density and comes
in a folded bundle. Each pleat is around 1/4" thick. Steve Maxwell told me
about  this stuff and that it is called Fan-Fold. The negative is that the
material comes with a polyester backing film which tends to make the material  take
a set from bundling, etc. Its a bit wavy off the bundle. But a little  time
with a sanding block and the backing comes off easily enough and material
straightens out pretty much. The positives are that it is similar in feel to  soft
balsa but sands a bit easier to a decent finish. It has a very  close cell
structure that should take water based paint fine. It is surprisingly  stiff
material yet resilient.

The material should hot wire easily if more complex shapes are needed. Dean
Pappas told me he has done that with this material type with good results.
Lowes  sells the same composition in 2" thick 4x8 sheets in the insulation
department.  So if you want really straight and flat stock, you can hot wire the 2"
material  to the deisred thickness, and there would be no backing to worry
about

I am using it in a conventional build with minimal balsa structure
underneath. I believe that with a bit more structure, this material could build  a full
sized pattern model for electric or gas. I intend to use silkspan over it  to
form a stressed skin. The wing panels were very simple. I cut the correct
planform and prepped by beveling the LE and TE to appropriate angles, and glued
the LEs together first, forming a V. The next evening, with very light balsa
structure inside, I brought the TEs together and voila. A few pins to hold
the  skins against the balsa and its a very light and stiff panel. Perfect for a
30  (eq) sized electric. I used a full depth 1/8" spar, which may be
overkill, but  what the hell. There's also a bit of carbon in it in judicious places.

The landing gear will be simple carbon tubing with axles glued in. Planning
to use DS281's in the beastie on DaveL's recommendation with the 770 rx

The final weight is projected at around 2 1/2 pounds where it should be a
fine match for the A30 M16 Hacker motor. A real pocket pattern model

MattK

In a message dated 2/8/2006 10:02:20 PM Eastern Standard Time,