[NSRCA-discussion] pitch

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Wed Feb 1 14:40:59 AKST 2006

One of the better knife-edging models and pretty fair all-around  sport
fliers in recent past was.... of all things, a Stuka Divebomber with slats  fully
deployed. It was an ARF (which annoyed me to no end....).

It had this tiny fin with all rudder area above the stab, and a wing that
was mounted to the very bottom of the fuse and with a bunch of dihedral. It
showed virtually no roll couple and no pitch couple with either top rudder. It
would slow roll and point roll from horizon to horizon. Designer was either
very  lucky or had pattern design experience in spades. Only faults I found was
its  inability to do clean snaps and easy stalls.... rudder was possibly too
small  and stab too large for its wing

Point is there are many ways to skin the kitty.

But I must admit, trying to make an UStik knife edge and make it perform
like a pattern model is a little like putting lip-stick on a pig. No offense
intended to owners of UStiks; these model types have their place.

The designer of the original UStik for those new to the sport, Phil Kraft,
pattern competitor extraordinaire, intended the model for testing equipment and
 not much else.

regards,
MattK

In a message dated 2/1/2006 11:58:29 AM Eastern Standard Time,