[NSRCA-discussion] Kavan vs. Central's Compact starter?

Tom Simes simestd at netexpress.com
Fri Dec 29 08:31:36 AKST 2006

http://www.centralhobbies.com/Electrical/starters/compact.htm

Has anyone had a chance to compare these two?  From what I can tell the
main differences are the gearbox and switch mechanism.  On wednesday my
old (crappy) starter died at the field with a cracked brush costing me a
day of flying.  I ordered Central's starter as soon as I got home, but
now that I understand the Kavan has a planetary gearbox and replacement
brush kits are available I'm wondering if I've made a good choice.

BTW, I'm as big a fan of hand starting as the next guy, but it just
doesn't work @ 5 deg. F on the engines I have unless they are still warm
from the last flight.

Tom

   "Z-80 system stack overflow.  Shut 'er down Scotty, the system's

Tom Simes                                       simestd at netexpress.com