[NSRCA-discussion] What the NSRCA does (and could do) for me

Paul Brine pbrine at uoguelph.ca
Wed Dec 27 16:01:26 AKST 2006

Wow!!

Amazing where this has gone.  My original point had nothing to do with
whether or not a dues increase was justified or not or whether the amount
should be $10, $50 or $100.

My point was simply that the organization needs to honour the memberships at
the old rate for those that renewed prior to the announcement of the
increase.  If folks want make a donation for the difference that should be
up to them.

As far as the list of what NSCRA delivered on here are my thoughts keeping
in mind the I am NOT US based.  First I agree with Terry T re the cost.

New and continually updated sequences to fly.  - Doesn't affect me.  We have
our own.
Competition rules and critical rule interpretations - See above
The Nats and banquet. - See above - Cost should be covered by those who
attend.
A web site with lots of related info. - Good stuff although it could use a
refresh.
District championships coordinated. - Don't have those
Monthly columns written that report local and national information. - Good
How-to articles in the KF that are not to be found in non-pattern sport RC
mags. Good, although the k-factor has been mostly contest reports lately.
Discussion of new products that apply to the hobby in the KF written by
people that actually compete. - See above
A discussion list and archive of many more gems of related information. -
Good
A national organization to share what works/doesn't to promote the hobby.
MA column. - Not an AMA member.  Never see it.
Support for sportsman primers.
Officers and VPs that deal with many small member issues and many governance
issues.
A consistent contest calendar. - Doesn't affect.
Promotion of the sport at the Grand Event, AMA convention, Toledo show, etc.
etc. - Good
A video segment inthe AMA DVD collection.  - Not an AMA member

Some thoughts for the future (This could get long)

I joined NSRCA to get the K-Factor.  As a non-US based member that is the
only benefit to being a member.  I suspect many others did the same.  In
fact at one point in our 100 member club there were 3-4 of us who were
members.  I was the only pattern flyer.  The others were sport flyers who
joined to get the K-factor.  I suspect we have lost the most of these
members in recent years.

As someone mentioned the most of the budget goes to support the k-factor.
As an organization it is our single greatest asset and at the same time our
biggest liability.  We need it to promote the organization and attract
membership beyond those who fly precision aero.

Here is where I suggest we should go:

Set a schedule for production and keep to it.  It has been very good lately
but since I joined the NSRCA in 1998 or 99 the K-factor has gone away for an
extended period twice with no notice.  Each time there was a drop in
membership afterward.

Keep the hardcopy delivery.  There are no real savings as someone mentioned
by cutting the numbers printed.  Based on my experience at work with small
print runs for publication I expect it will cost about the same for 250, 500
or 1000.  As someone mention not everyone has broadband (I don't) to be able
to read it online.  Alot of folks are still on dialup.  Dropping the colour
covers may save some cost.

Consider reducing the number of issues a year.  I would suggest 10 issues.
My suggestion would be to have July-Aug, and Dec-Jan but there are other
combos that would work.

Content - That is what will help attract those folks who just want the
magazine.  We need them to help support the production costs and to provide
the numbers to attract the advertisers. Lately, there have some technical
articles but mostly the columns and articles have been contest reports that
are months old.

Suggestions:
- Construction article and plans for an entry level wood pattern aircraft.
- How about recycling some of the older technical articles from years gone
by.  There is likely alot that still applies and the newer members won't
have seen them.

Paul