[NSRCA-discussion] NSRCA Dues Increase

Jim Woodward Jim.Woodward at armorholdings.com
Tue Dec 26 04:39:13 AKST 2006

Hi Don, All,

Nice email and information below.  It is very difficult to cultivate a
person from beginner-to-aerobatic flier, then to a fully invested status
such that they will go to contests practice, and have the commitment to
drive to farther away contests.  There are only so many people in the
R/C arena that are leaning towards disciplined aerobatics, better
equipment, invest the time to learn to set it up correctly, practice,
and then drive to contests.  My own opinion in 1000 words is simply that
IMAC and Pattern require the same type of person - we are each others
target audience.  After competing in IMAC in 2006 in the south east and
developing some good relationships and practice with some folks, there
are at least 2 serious guys and a couple in the wings who are going to
"cross-over" and fly pattern in our area too.  Cross-training between
IMAC and pattern is hugely beneficial for those that will dare it.  I
know from many conversations with the well-seasoned IMAC flyers in our
area that after seeing me compete for 1 season, that they recognize that
the pattern provides all the foundational elements and fundamentals that
IMAC doesn't focus on.  Flying IMAC provides the "stick-gymnastics" that
the pattern sequences miss.  Plus, putting together a pattern plane
these days compared to a 40%er is a relief to them.

However, it is not enough to fly just a pattern plane or just an IMAC
plane for the cross-over benefit.  The real difficulty and benefit in
pattern flying is only achieved when you apply the full rule set like:
Box requirements, centering/positioning, etc.  Once you "practice" the
pattern sequences with a pattern plane the discipline becomes 100% more
challenging than from watching from behind the flight line.  If you only
fly the pattern plane you'd be left to say "...that plane flies good,"
... but you have no real exposure to the discipline.  Likewise with
IMAC.  The real benefit to me is practicing the IMAC sequence with an
IMAC plane.  Learning how to snap roll and perform opposite point rolls
on uplines, downlines, 45, inverted, upright, left and right, is the
"bread-n-butter" of the game.  Each maneuver is loaded up in complexity
and the penalty is a bit more severe if you miss your wings on roll or
snap exits.  .... He who can combine the pattern fundamental stuff
within the IMAC set, and "smartly" positions the maneuvers (... IMAC
currently does not have designated positions for each and EVERY
maneuver) is going to do very well in any class.  While it is easy to
make the correlation that "pattern flyers do well in IMAC/Masters - just
look at the Invitational level meets and see the top guys," it mostly
falls apart at the local level because there are some VERY good IMAC
guys who have never flown pattern.  The local IMAC guys have their own
hero's to look up to, and sort of see that pattern fliers to well at the
Invitational events as either an anomaly, strictly dependant on there
huge personal talent, or due to some judging scenario.  However, when
average guys enter their contests and fly well, it brings it a little
more home regarding the benefits of doing both.

Anyway - cross training is great and it makes sense in any other sport.
In my area it allows for more contest attendance, and also gets some
others to come to try pattern.  I don't mind another $10 to help the
NSRCA.

Thanks,

Jim W.