[NSRCA-discussion] NSRCA Dues Increase

Fred Huber fhhuber at clearwire.net
Mon Dec 25 12:48:46 AKST 2006

Well... I'm seeing things from a different region's perspective...  Maybe
things are headed downhill for pattern where you are...

Around here, Pattern is alive and well... and attracting "new blood."

There's a few people in the local club expressing interest in starting to
compete.  The local "Pattern Gurus" are very supportive. (the only real way
to encourage Pattern newbies...)  With the guidance of the more experienced
competitors, a newbie can have a positive experience thier first
competition.  Without the guidance, the newbie has a good chance of being
embarrased by thier performance in front of the judges.

I haven't been very active in Pattern... mostly helping out at the local
contest... "playing at" flying Sportsman in a few contests, mostly flying
Pattern as a way to improve flying skill... and its VERY GOOD for improving
flying skill!

But I have observed the trends locally...  The contests have a fairly stable
number of contestants, with some years several flying Sportsman.. then a
couple of years later those move up and Sportsnam is empty, then the next
year... 5 or 6 new guys in
Sportsman.  We lose some flyers for various reasons, and we gain some.  When
a new contest came up just outside the sanction range of the local club's
event last year, we had a slightly lower turnout at our local contest beause
some of the guys who had been making the trip every year lived very close to
the new contest. (I'd make the 20 mile trip instead of the 200 mile one too)

Yes, IMAC can draw some Pattern guys and have thenm change disciplines.
People's interests change over time.  Pattern can draw some of the IMAC guys
too... You hit a plateu in the competition and can't seem to get past it...
and you might move over to something else.

I'll probably never fly Pattern beyond Sportsman level... My real goal is to
go into scale.  Its pointless (in my opinion) to spend 3 to 7 years
perfecting a scale model and not having the skills to keep it intact, so
Pattern is my training ground to cure some bad flying habits I developed.
(and it works....)

If the Patern flyers in your area are viewed as elitist and snobby... look
in the mirror.  You're one of the pattern flyers... why do people see YOU as
elitist and snobby?  YOU can do something about that... I can't.

FHH