[NSRCA-discussion] Cooling outrunners

Rex LESHER trexlesh at msn.com
Tue Dec 19 21:05:56 AKST 2006

I actually looked at doing that...  After I put the small spinner on, I decided it was butt ugly and wasn't about to be caught in public with it
like that....  LOL
I have a ramp built into the chin cowl that diverts the air up to right behind the motor, then flows through the battery tray.  After carving the
spinner and backplate, the motor temps went down.  In the hot weather, say around 100F+, I noticed sometimes that I was beginning to have a
few power problems.  I also noticed that these power problems were coming in outside, push manuevers...  I figured it might have something more to do with airflow through the fuselage, so I increased the air outlet in the bottom of the fuselage(doubled the size).  All of the cooling problems
went away, and I noticed that the overall temps went down considerably.   I probably made 20-30 flights after that in the heat and had no temp
problems.  Since then, I have installed the curved "tounge"  like Chad uses, to divert air directly onto the motor can.  I'm guessing I'll have no temperature problems at all now, but I'll have to wait till June to find out.
Flying electrics is like wine, they get better with time!!!!

Rex