[NSRCA-discussion] Cooling outrunners

Dean Pappas d.pappas at kodeos.com
Tue Dec 19 06:33:53 AKST 2006

Bob, you're a genius!
I suggested this to an E-powered CL Stunt buddy in the Netherlands some months ago because the Stunt guys have a long history of styling planes with chin scoops placed far back. These often require a 3/4" long prop drive extension to place the cylinder back farther, and the use of a short venturi. They cowl much easier than computer carbs!

Hi Chad,
Makes you wonder what some of these guys were thinking when they placed the cooling and cheek inlets. ?? **^^$$!!!
The inlet airbox can shroud the aft end of the motor and the sleeve dump into a front exit plenumm. Now the trick is the exit from there. I think that a big elbow like a turbopropo exhaust would be cool, as would be cheek cowls with no entry holes just exits. The exit plenum just behind the spinner would have to duct into the cheeks. Notre that flying without a spinner will wreck the cooling! A row of exhaust stacks like a P-51 could be boxed in and used to suck the warm air out of the exit plenum. I need to draw a picture. That'll take a while, especially around Christmas.

The colder the magnets are, the stronger they are, and the less resistive the copper is, so cooler is always better for the motor. The same is true for the ESC: MOSFETs are less resistive the cooler they are, so everything gets better in the Antarctic except battery performance.

later,
    Dean

Dean Pappas
Sr. Design Engineer