[NSRCA-discussion] Panasonic shipping safer lithium-ion batteries

Tom Simes simestd at netexpress.com
Mon Dec 18 09:51:54 AKST 2006

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/12/18/panasonic_pitches_safe_li-ions/

>From the arstechnica article:

The company says that they began shipping the battery this April and is
now ready for mass-production.
The battery is protected from overheating by the addition of a
heat-resistant insulator to the battery cell.
 The additional heat insulator, according to Matsushita, has better
insulating and protective features than the current separator and will
prevent overheating even in the event of a short-circuit.

I realize these specific cells aren't suitable for our motor
applications, but hopefully it won't be too long before we see this
technology integrated into R/C specific packs.  Of course Matsushita has
probably patented it so up goes the cost of batteries again.

Tom

   "Z-80 system stack overflow.  Shut 'er down Scotty, the system's

Tom Simes                                       simestd at netexpress.com